Frequently Asked Questions

  • When can I apply for housing?

Housing applications for the 2023-2024 academic year are currently available. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis, and space typically fill quickly. A completed housing contract includes submitting the online application, electronically signing the license agreement, and paying the initial payment online.

  • Do I have to pay the $50 initial payment?

Yes, all students must pay the $50 initial payment after completing the application and signing the license agreement. Students who choose a meal plan will also pay a $50 processing fee for the meal plan contract. License agreements are not considered complete without the initial online payment. The Student Housing Office is unable to make payment plan arrangements for the $50 initial payment. Students currently wards of the court or former foster youth may request an extension for submitting their initial payment to arrange for their social services agency to process their payment.

  • Can I still apply for housing if I have not yet been admitted to the University?

You can still apply for housing if you have applied to the university and have not yet been admitted. The only requirement to apply for housing is a username and password log-in, which the Admissions and Records office emails to students who have applied to CSUN. If you have not received your username and password credentials, please contact Admissions and Records at (818) 677-3700.

  • When will I be notified that I have a room if I am on the waiting list?

Students can check their waiting list number when they log into the Student Housing Portal. Waiting list numbers may stay the same for a while and then suddenly drop; it all depends on the number of cancellations we receive throughout the summer and fall. When you are offered a space, you will be notified via email (our primary method of communication) and a courtesy telephone call. After notification, you have three days to contact us to accept the space before it is offered to another student on the waiting list.

  • What if I decide not to live on campus?

A cancellation form (Release from Student Housing License Agreement) can be found via the Forms link within the Student Housing Portal. Submitting a request for release does not guarantee the release will be approved.  Cancellations received, and approved after students move into Student Housing are subject to the required 30-day notice period.

  • I did not receive the Financial Aid award anticipated; now what do I do?

Students are responsible for the balance of the housing payments and any other charge on their university student account that is not covered and paid by financial aid disbursements.

  • Why do I need to give you proof of financial aid? Can't you see it on my account?

Providing Student Housing with proof of financial aid lets us know that you are going to live on campus and want to reserve your space. Any student who does not make a payment or show proof of financial aid by Friday, July 21, 2023, will forfeit their housing contract and the application will be canceled.

  • How do I make a payment?

There are three ways to make a payment to your university student account:

  1. Online via the CSUN Portal.
  2. Mail to University Cash Services, 18111 Nordhoff St., Northridge, CA 91330-8214
  3. Pay in person at the cashier in Bayramian Hall, on campus
  • Is there housing for Graduate students?

All students are afforded the opportunity for housing. Graduate students can live in the Apartments at University Park.

  • What personal information can Student Housing share with my parents?

Federal laws such as the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protect student information when a student turns 18 years old, or enters a post-secondary institution. We will not give out room numbers or phone information, grades or discipline issues to anyone—even if it is an emergency. We need to talk to the student directly. You are here to learn both in the classroom as well as outside of the classroom and managing your own account is the best way to start. Resolving roommate problems, dealing with maintenance issues or setting up a phone line are great ways for students to learn how to negotiate the administrative process. We urge parents to give students the opportunity to solve their own problems before stepping in. You may complete a FERPA form located on our website which will allow us to speak with whomever you designate to receive information.

  • How do I purchase a meal plan?

You can purchase a meal plan during the online application process. Should you have additional questions regarding meal plan options, you can contact the Meal Plan Coordinator (818) 677-2655 or, visit the Student Housing Office or go to the Matador Eats website for more information.

  • How do I find out about the meal plan?

If you have meal plan questions, contact the Meal Plan Coordinator. They are located in the Student Housing Office or by phone at (818) 677-2655. For more information, go to the Matador Eats website.

  • Where is the mailroom?

The mailroom is located in the lobby of Pinon Hall (Building 9).

  • What is my address to receive mail?

Your Name
17950 Lassen Street, Box # ___________
Northridge, CA 91325

  • Where do I get my mail?

Mailboxes are located in Building 9 and Building 13. Notices will be sent via email when you receive a package.  Packages can be picked up from Mail Services in the lobby of building 9.  Showing a picture ID is required when picking up a package.

  • Can I send packages from the residence hall or do I have to take them to FedEx, USPS, and UPS?

You can send packages from our mailroom. In order to send a package from the mailroom, you have to pay for all of the postage and then drop the package off at the mailroom in building 9. They will deliver the package to the post office for you. If you would like to send something using UPS or FEDEX, you can do so by paying for the postage and arranging a pickup time for the package with the company from the mailroom in Building 9.

  • How do I figure out my mailbox number and combination?

You can find out your mailbox number and combination by logging onto your Student Housing Portal.

  • Why do we have gate closures?

Gate closures are to ensure the safety of all of our residential students and their guests. Gate closures allow campus housing to limit access into the residence halls to only housing students and their registered guests, which keeps out individuals that may be disruptive to the community.

  • Where do students get parking permits?

You can buy parking permits online through your myNorthridge Portal at

  • If the gates for E9 or G8 parking lots are closed at 7:30 p.m. and I need to get my car out of an emergency, how do I do that?

If you are locked into any of the parking lots after the gates have closed at 7:30 p.m. you can contact Department of Police Services at (818) 677-2111 to request the gate be opened, but only in an extreme emergency.

  • Where should students park to avoid having car locked up during gate closure?

In order to keep your car from being locked in during gate closures, students should park in the G9 parking structure, F8, F9 and F10 parking lots or use street parking.

  • What do I do if a neighbor is making too much noise?

We use a community standards model of living here at CSUN. If your neighbor is being loud we encourage you to start dialogue with your neighbor and ask them politely to quiet down and explain how they are impacting your studies. If this tactic does not work then we urge you to speak with your resident advisor.

  • Why can’t I smoke on my balcony?

CSUN is a smoke-free campus.  Smoking is prohibited inside all of our buildings and on all areas of the grounds, including the sidewalks surrounding housing facilities. This includes the use of smoking devices such as vaping devices, electronic cigarettes, and/or hookah pipes. 

  • If the three of us agree with each other, can we kick the forth roommate out of the Apartment?

You cannot kick a roommate out of the room if you are not getting along. However, feel free to ask your resident advisor to have a mediation with you and your roommates. If the issue continues, please speak with your community director about doing a possible room change for yourself.

  • Why do I have to follow all the policies?

By choosing to live in campus housing you agree to follow all of the policies. These policies are set in place to ensure the academic success and safety of all of our residential students.

  • What is Residence Halls Association (RHA)?

The Residence Halls Association (RHA) is an organization with the goal of promoting a healthy academic and social environment while serving as the student voice for concerns of the community in CSUN Student Housing. RHA provides engaging programs for students to get involved, and hosts regular community meetings to discuss concerns and suggestions. For more information about RHA, please contact Matt Soto, Coordinator for Residential Student Engagement, at

  • What is the $15.00 RHA Fee?

This one-time annual fee is charged to all CSUN Student Housing residents and it is established to partially fund the Residence Halls Association (RHA). RHA is essentially your student governing board in housing that promotes student advocacy and plans engaging events for residents to enjoy. Your $15.00 goes a long way! Not only do we plan the largest-scale events in Student Housing, but we also work to respond to resident concerns within the residential experience. If you have further questions about this fee, please contact Residence Halls Association (RHA) at

  • What’s the difference between my resident advisor and academic mentor?

Your resident advisor's main focus is to ensure that all residential students have a healthy and positive experience while living in campus housing through various activities and services. The main focus of your academic mentor is to assist you in attaining academic success by examining and tracking student's academic habits.

  • How do I submit maintenance requests?

Maintenance requests can be submitted online via your Student Housing Portal or phone at (818) 677-2234.

  • Can nails be used to hang items on the walls?

We would prefer that nails not be used to hang items on the walls. If you would like to hang things on your wall please use damage free Command Strips.

  • Is there a cleaning service?

No, there is not a cleaning service, however if you would like to hire a service to come and clean your room you are able to do so with the consent of your roommates and at your own expense.

  • Where can I check out vacuums?

We can check out vacuums at the Community Center (Building 18) or the Learning Center (Building 21). Please bring your CSUN Student ID for checking out the vacuum cleaners.

  • Where do I register overnight guests online?

To register overnight guests, log into your Student Housing Portal and go to the  Overnight Guest Registration link.

  • How can I request a room swap or a room change?

If you would like to request a room swap or room change, you can contact your community director via email, phone or stop by the Office of Residence Life to schedule an appointment.

  • I’m locked out of my room, what do I do?

Depending on the time there are several people you can contact. If you are locked out between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., you can go to the Student Housing Office. If you are locked out between the hours of 5 p.m. and 7 p.m., you can go to the Community Center. If you are located out between the hours of 7 p.m. and 8 a.m., you can contact the resident advisors on duty. On-duty phone numbers are located on the doors of each building.

  • Where are laundry rooms?

Laundry rooms are located on the first floor of each building in the Apartments at University Park, in the Apartments at University Village adjacent to the Village Apartment recreation room and on each floor in the Suites at University Park. You will need to use a debit card or credit card to pay.

  • What support does Student Housing provide to trans students who would like assistance finding a room and a roommate placement?

CSUN Student Housing is committed to providing a safe and welcoming living environment for all students, including students who identify as transgender, gender-queer or gender non-conforming. Trans students seeking accommodations for living in the residence halls should contact Roger Chapman-Custer at All requests will be kept confidential.

  • What if I have safety concerns?

If you have safety concerns please feel free to discuss those with your resident advisor, your community director or the Department of Police Services. In emergencies, please contact the Department of Police Services at 911 or (818) 677-2111 when using cell phones.

  • How will I receive messages from Student Housing?

We primarily communicate by email. We recommend that you check your email often so you don't miss important information.

  • Do I have to pay for utilities, cable and internet?

If you live in the Apartments and Suites at University Park you do not pay for utilities, cable or internet. The price is already included in your monthly installments. If you live in the Apartments at University Village, you do pay for utilities, cable and internet.

  • Where and how do I register game consoles and computes to aid in protecting them from theft?

If you would like to register your game console and/or computer you can do so with crime prevention at the Department of Police Services building located on the corner of Darby Avenue and Prairie Street.

  • How do phone lines work (payment, setting it up, etc.)?

If you would like a landline please go to the Phone Service section of the Living In Housing page.

CSUN Student Housing is no different from other types of housing across the nation (and the world) when it comes to incidents of bed bugs. Bed bugs are a growing worldwide problem brought about by increased travel and a decreased use of pesticides. Bed bugs have been found in five-star hotels, college residence halls, hospitals and virtually all other types of housing. 

CSUN Student Housing’s Proactive Measures

In order to be proactive, CSUN Student Housing pays a professional pest control company, that specializes in the detection and extermination of bed bugs, to inspect every one of our units with their specially trained dogs in August, prior to students checking in, to ensure there are no bed bugs at the start of each academic year. CSUN Student Housing incurs the cost of this inspection each year.


CSUN contracts the services of a professional pest control company that specializes in the detection and extermination of bed bugs. When bed bugs are suspected, the pest control company is contacted and scheduled for an inspection. CSUN Student Housing arranges, and pays for, the inspection and treatment for your unit so that we can ensure that bed bugs are eradicated and will not be likely to spread.

Your part in the treatment is just as important as the treatment itself. You will be given instructions and asked to follow very specific steps in preparation for your treatment. Unfortunately, if you aren’t properly prepared on your treatment day, you will incur the cost for the pest control company to come back, and may incur further costs for future re-treatments that may be needed.


  • When you suspect bed bugs in your unit, put in a maintenance work ticket (by logging into your Housing Portal) or call Student Housing Operations (818/677-2234) right away.
  • Do not use bed bug sprays or powders to try to treat the problem yourself. These treatments don’t work and they block the ability of the pest control company dogs to detect bed bugs.
  • Tell Student Housing about friends’ rooms that you visit frequently. Housing may decide to also have these units inspected.

What can you do to help prevent getting bed bugs in your unit?

Learn to identify bed bugs.

There are plenty of websites with photos and videos to consult.

Inspect your bed periodically.

Check for little blood spots on your sheets. Lift bedding and mattresses. Check in seams, between bedposts and slats, and behind bed headboards. Use a flashlight at night.

Inspect your backpack periodically.

Bedbugs can hide in backpacks. Check seams and pouches throughout your backpack for bugs or eggs. Do not place your backpack on or under your bed.

Clean and reduce the clutter in your room to eliminate places for bedbugs to hide during the day.

Wash clothes and linens frequently in hot water and dry to kill any possible bed bugs.

Don’t bring second hand furniture on to campus.

When traveling, take precautions to help prevent bringing bed bugs back to campus with you. Inspect the bed you’ll be using as described above. Check the room, including behind wall hangings. Don’t put your suitcase or backpack directly on the bed; whenever possible, elevate them on a luggage rack.

Before returning to campus, inspect your clothes and other items before packing. Check crevices in suitcases and backpacks.

After returning to campus, re-check all traveling gear and items within when you unpack. Don’t put your suitcase or backpack on or under your bed.


What is the approximate timeline for inspection and treatment?

The typical turnaround from the time for an inspection, when a student puts in a maintenance work ticket when they suspect bed bugs is roughly 2 business days with treatment being scheduled within 2-3 business days after the inspection. This timeline can vary depending on the schedule of the pest control company.

Will I be allowed to relocate to another space while the inspection and treatment happen?

No. Relocating provides a very high probability that you’ll transport the bed bugs with you only to bring them back when you return. Remember, you can’t see the bed bugs very well and you won’t know when you are transporting them.

What if I decide to go stay with a friend, family member, or elsewhere while the inspection and treatment happen?

We highly discourage you from doing this. Going to stay with someone else provides a very high probability that you’ll transport the bed bugs with you only to bring them back when you return. This will also increase the likelihood that you’ll spread the bed bugs to your other friends and family at their places of residence.

What will CSUN pay for if I’m found to have bed bugs in my unit?

CSUN Student Housing pays for the inspection and treatment for your unit and reimbursement for doing your laundry (we will not reimburse for dry cleaning) so that we can ensure that bed bugs are eradicated and will not be likely to spread. Remember, because our professional pest control company inspects every one of our living units before check in, CSUN can confidently say that there were no bed bugs in your unit at the start of the school year. As a result, CSUN Student Housing will not prorate rent or provide any other payments or reimbursements other than the inspection, treatment, and laundry.

Will my mattresses and furniture be replaced?

No. Our professional pest control company does not recommend replacement of anything, including furniture and mattresses. The treatment is effective in eradicating bed bugs.

  • Are toiletries, broom, mops, etc. provided?

Toiletries, brooms, mops, etc. are not provided. These items have to be purchased.

  • Do all the buildings have elevators?

Elevators can be found in buildings 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20 and 21.

  • Is the track next to housing available for residents to use?

No, the track is not available for residential students. It is owned and operated by the CSUN Athletics Department

  • Are refrigerators or microwaves provided?

If you are living in a room with a kitchen, refrigerators are provided. If you are in a room without a kitchen, refrigerators are not provided. Microwaves are not provided in any of our rooms.

  • Why is the air conditioner always locked?

The air conditioner is locked as an energy saving tactic.

Scroll back to the top of the page