Memorial Day Observance

International Graduate Students

An international graduate student is one who:

  • Wishes to study at our university on an F-1 (student) visa or J-1 (exchange) visa, and
  • Is in the process of completing or has completed a post-secondary degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree.

Graduate students may apply for admission to a master's or doctoral degree program at CSUN.

How to Apply as an International Graduate Student

At CSUN, we offer a variety of graduate programs across our eight academic colleges and one college of graduate and mid-career education. They are:

  • Master's degrees
  • Doctoral degrees

Use our program finder to find one that fits your educational needs.

Two applications are often required for graduate programs: one to the university and the other to the individual graduate program. While CSUN sets minimum requirements for admission, each of our graduate programs will have its own criteria. This may include GPA, test scores, prerequisite classes and recommendation letters. You can find requirement information on the program page, its department website or catalog listing.

In addition, please read the Disclosure for Academic Programs Leading to Licensure or Credentialing.

CSUN university application deadlines for international applicants are shown in the table below.

Semester Application Deadline Document Deadline
For Fall Admission Oct. 1 to May 31 June 15
For Spring Admission Aug. 1 to Oct. 31 Nov. 15

The additional application to an individual program, as well as document deadlines, may be earlier than the university deadlines above. Please check the catalog listing for your graduate program.

Once you know your program requirements and deadlines, start gathering the materials you need:

  • Graduate examination results, such as the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Scores must be sent directly to CSUN from the testing agency. Use CSUN school code 4707.
  • Official transcripts. You will need to provide all official academic records in original language of issue. If you have have studied in the U.S., you are required to have the U.S. institution(s) send official transcript(s) directly to CSUN.
  • Official English translations of all academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas.
  • A copy of your passport photo page.
  • Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other acceptable test.
  • A credit or debit card. The $70 application fee is due at the time of submission and can only be paid by credit or debit card.
  • Financial affidavit and bank statement. Download the Affidavit of Financial Support (.pdf) and obtain a copy of your bank statement. Both documents may be emailed to

You may also need additional materials based on your graduate program requirements. Please check your department to determine where to send these items. The additional items may include:

  • Letters of recommendation or contact information for people who will write your letter
  • Resume or curriculum vitae
  • A statement of interest
  • A research paper

Create an account and complete your application on Cal State Apply, the CSU's online application system. Be sure to carefully review your information before submitting.

Complete any supplemental application required by your program. This often includes filling out a separate application or submitting additional documents. Be sure to meet the deadlines for submission.

After you apply, you'll receive an email from CSUN with the information you'll need to activate your CSUN Portal. Once you've set up an account, you can check your application status. Each department has its own criteria for admissions and will notify you when it has reached a decision.

You must submit official transcripts to the Office of International Admissions. Please submit:

  • All official academic records in original language of issue. Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are required to have the institution(s) in the U.S. send official transcript(s) directly to CSUN.
  • Official English translations of all academic records.

You may also need to provide a duplicate set of official transcripts for your graduate program admissions. Be sure to check your department's requirements.

Paper transcripts must be received in sealed, unopened envelopes. Ask your previous school(s) to send your official transcripts to:

California State University, Northridge
Attention: International Admissions
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207

For electronic transcripts, choose "CSU Northridge" as the recipient. If this option is not available, use as the recipient email address.

If you have any California community college transcripts, please review eTranscript California and have the transcripts sent through this system.

CSUN Admission Criteria

You will be considered for admission to CSUN as a graduate student when you meet both university and individual program eligibility requirements.

Admission standards are the same for international and domestic (U.S.) students. The criteria below reflect domestic standards. We will review your international academic records to ensure their equivalency to the requirements listed below

You must first meet the following university requirements:

  1. Have a four-year baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) from a regionally accredited institution
  2. Be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended
  3. Have satisfied one of the following conditions:
    • Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in all undergraduate units
    • Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units from all post-secondary institutions
    • Hold an acceptable post-baccalaureate degree earned at a regionally accredited institution and:
      • Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in all units attempted as an undergraduate, or
      • Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units attempted from all post-secondary institutions attended.

CSUN will convert your international GPA when you apply for admission. You must also meet any higher admission standards of the individual graduate program.

CSUN will first review your application to be sure you meet university standards. Then your application will be reviewed by the appropriate graduate department. The department will then determine if you meet the criteria for admission to its graduate program.

Test Name and Website Minimum Score Required for Graduate Students How to Send Your Score to CSUN
Cambridge C1 Advanced English (formerly CAE) 180 Email "Confirmation of Entry" page to
DET – Duolingo English Test 105 Online through your Duolingo Account. See Sending Your Results.
EIKEN CSE – Common Scale for English 2630 (1) Contact EIKEN online; they will send the score directly to us.
GTEC CBT – Global Test of English Communication Computer-Based Test 1200 Have GTEC send a copy of your "Official Score Certificate" to CSUN.
IELTS Academic - International English Language Test System 6.5 Have IELTS send a copy of your "Test Report Form" to CSUN.
iTEP Academic - International Test of English Proficiency 4.0 Have iTEP send your score to CSUN.
PTE Academic - Pearson Test of English 58 Online through your PTE Academic Account.
TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language

Internet Based score: 79
Paper-based score: 550

We do not accept TOEFL ITP.

Use CSUN School Code 4707.
English Language Tests and Minimum Scores

Exception: The TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required if you have:

  • Earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a college or university in the U.S. or
  • Earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a college or university outside the U.S. where English is the principal language of instruction

CSUN interprets "where English is the principal language of instruction" to mean that a school is located in a country where English is the daily medium of communication for the majority of residents, and that students receive academic instruction in English at all levels of education.

Countries currently meeting the above requirement are: Australia, Belize, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, plus a few nations in the Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, and Trinidad and Tobago).

If you have any questions, please contact an International Admissions Advisor.

CSUN Intensive English Program and Conditional Admission

An Intensive English Program (IEP) is offered through CSUN’s Tseng College of Extended Learning. The International Admissions Office works closely with the IEP office to offer "conditional admission" to academically eligible students enrolled in the IEP. Admission to the university is guaranteed once the student has completed the English language requirement (TOEFL or other acceptable test). Read more at Intensive English and University Pathways.

Scroll back to the top of the page